Join Syracuse Opera for a
Matinee Performance of "Nabucco"
at the Metropolitan Opera
(Syracuse, N.Y., June 3, 2011) – The Syracuse Opera Aria Society will be hosting a trip to The Metropolitan Opera, in New York, NY, to see "Nabucco" Saturday, November, 12, 2011 at 1:00 p.m. Tickets are $350.00 per person and must be reserved by June 30, 2011.
Nabucco (Nebuchadnezzar) is an opera in four acts by Giuseppe Verdi to an Italian libretto based on the Biblical story and the 1836 play by Auguste Anicet-Bourgeois and Francis Cornue. It is Verdi's third opera and the one which is considered to have permanently established his reputation as a composer.
Nabucco follows the plight of the Jews as they are assaulted, conquered, and subsequently exiled from their homeland by the Babylonian King Nabucco (in English, Nebuchadnezzar). The historical events are used as background for a romantic and political plot.
Nabucco struck a chord with Italians when it premiered, particularly with the now-famous chorus, "Va, pensiero", sung by exiles whose plight echoed the desire of Italians for liberty and self-government. "Va, pensiero" has become the unofficial Italian national anthem.
Verdi's operatic masterpiece of biblical proportion can be seen on this one-day bus trip to The Metropolitan Opera. The trip includes:
- Bernie Bus leaves promptly at 7:00 a.m. from Wegmans in DeWitt, arrives in NYC at 11:00 a.m.
- Douglas Kinney Frost offers a colorful preview of "Nabucco" on the trip to New York City, and a jovial preview of Syracuse Opera's 2011-2012 season on the return trip using video and audio samples.
- Lunch at Arpeggio: A Stylish restaurant in Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center featuring seasonal ingredients in Mediterranean cuisine
- Lunch choices: 1-Lemon roast chicken, 2-Grilled flank steak, 3-Pan seared salmon filet; meal includes salad and dessert
- "Nabucco" ticket (Orchestra Balance) 1:00 p.m. performance
- Boxed supper from Arpeggio's Restaurant after the opera
- Snacks and wine provided for the return trip to Syracuse
- Bus leaves NYC at 4:30 p.m. arrives at 10:00 p.m. in Syracuse.
The price per person is $350.00 and includes everything listed above and is payable to Syracuse Opera by June 30, 2011. For more information or to make a reservation, please call Syracuse Opera at (315) 475-5915 or visit www.syracuseopera.com.
About Syracuse Opera
Now in its 37th year, Syracuse Opera enriches the lives of the people of upstate New York through locally produced opera, the one all-inclusive art form that celebrates the beauty of the human singing voice energized through the spectacle of live theater. Offering three mainstage productions each season and year-round community performances and education programs, Syracuse Opera is a professional company reaching over 60,000 people annually. For more information, please visit www.SyracuseOpera.com or call (315) 475-5915.
Syracuse Opera productions are made possible with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency, and through a grant from the Trust for Cultural Resources of the County of Onondaga.
Syracuse Opera is a member of OPERA America, the Arts & Culture Leadership Alliance of CNY, and the Cathedral Square Neighborhood Association.